Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Spiked Cheesecake Bars


Today I tried out a recipe from my new cook book; the Spiked Cheesecake Bars.

Recipe:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 quick oats
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 package (8ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 granulated sugar
1/4 cup and flavor liqueur, such as coffee, orange or hazelnut (I used coffee)
2 teaspoons milk
1 egg
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom and sides of 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving 2 inch overhang.
2. For crust, beat brown sugar and butter in bowl of electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamy. Combine 3/4 cup flour, oats and baking soda in small bowl; gradually beat into sugar mixture in bottom of prepared pan to form crust. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside on wire rack.
3. For filling, combine cream cheese, granulated sugar, liqueur and milk in mixer bowl. Beat at medium-high speed until smooth. Add egg and remaining 1 teaspoon of flour; beat until well blended. Spoon filling over hot crust. Bake 38 to 43 minutes or until set. Cool completely on wire rack.
4. Melt chocolate chips and drizzle over cooled cheesecake. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight for best flavor and texture.

As you can see from the top picture, the chocolate exploded in a couple areas. I think for a first attempt they turned out OK, but in the words of my boyfriend, "I mean they're not great". The next time I make them I think I am going to modify the crust to where it is more like a regular gram cracker crust on a original cheesecake. Other than that the cheesecake portion has really good flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment